Hi, my name is Alex, I live in London and I’m currently single.
Last week I wrote about the language of love in 2018. The dating terms I’ve had to learn and understand since jumping back into the dating world. I’m now prepped and ready to go, hopefully wise to getting “fished by a kitten”, “Zombied by a ghost” or “benched”.
It might not make for quite the romantic story, as say meeting someone in a bookstore, as you both reach for the same novel. Or starting a conversation with a stranger after your dogs have become best friends out on a walk… but what online dating lacks in charm, it makes up for in practicality.
Advantages of online dating
Today’s online dating landscape is a crowded one. There are many different apps and websites to choose from, ranging from serious or themed, to novelty and casual hook up’s. They really do seem to cater for pretty much everyone! So lets look at some of the advantages of online dating:
- You can get to know someone well by writing back and forth over a period of time
- You can specify what you are looking for
- You can make it clear what you really don’t like
- It’s easy to set up and convenient
- There’s less pressure
- It’s safer than meeting someone you don’t know face to face
- It’s cheaper than going out multiple times a week
- Opportunity to meet lots of people.
It’s not a perfect system by any means. Kittenfishing does happen, and it’s a disappointing feeling when it does. It’s usually easy to spot (which makes you wonder why they would do it?), but more often than not it’s to do with someone presenting a list of interests and character traits, very different to how they actually live their life. It may well be subconscious. I’ve been on a few dates this week, whereby people have listed a number of exciting hobbies and interests, yet when we meet up… they’ve no stories to tell. The last time they did something exciting was when they took that gap year back in ’05!
But it’s worth persevering… and I will persevere. The more dates you go on, the more chance you have of finding someone really well matched right? The more dates I’ve been on, the more I’ve learnt about myself too, and what I’m looking for. And, perhaps, just as importantly, what I won’t put up with!
I’ve also found some great new bars when looking for a good location. So even if the date has gone bad, I’ve still had something positive to take away from it!
Read more from my six part dating experiences right here in London:
- Dating Adventures From London – Dating Terms
- Dating Adventures From London – Advantages Of Online Dating
- Dating Adventures From London – First Date Dating Tips
- Dating Adventures From London – When To Send The Follow Message
- Dating Adventures From London – Don’t Get Disheartened
- Dating Adventures From London – Try Epic Catch
Download the Epic Catch app today: